Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Postcards, Paste and the XYRON 500

Ahhh, there is so much to learn. I received as a new year's gift vintage postcards and buttons from SmittenKitten. (Beware: try to avoid accidentally going to smittenkitten.com as this is a far cry from crafts.) Of course, as with most crafts, the following thought bubble appeared: I can do that! Sooo after immediately finding this marvelous roll of vintage wallpaper on ebay, the next challenge was to find proper postcard backing with adhesive. The only adhesive backing I have found for postcards has the postcard backing people's company contact information on the backing itself. This is no good, for many reasons. But the only one I can think of is that I would prefer my own Blue Hair Knits to be featured instead. So after ordering, calling to pay for my order, calling to cancel my order, and brainstorming on the phone with a really wonderful woman at Stamp on This! I learned about the XYRON 500.

No. The Xyron 500 is not an automotive refinisher, a hairdryer, or a microchip. As many of you (who?) may already know the Xyron 500 is a sticker maker. It makes stickers out of anything (probably that means anything flat). So I will probably be picking up a Xyron 500 because one is on-sale at Joann's for half-price.

Then of course there is the question: where do I find the postcard backing to make sticky. ie: what do I turn into a sticker? So I then found some rubber stamps that could be used to stamp a postcard back on standard cardstock, which in turn could be stickered onto my lovely vintage wallpaper. (Without, of course, any reference to Blue Hair Knits.)

Total project cost: $60.00. MUCH much more than simply buying a whole lot of Smitten Kitten cards. But then I would never have learned about the Xyron 500.

No comments: