Wednesday, February 7, 2007

They say Patience is a Virtue

Our house is very cold. Frigid drafts creep in through the light switches and pour out of the cabinets every time a cupboard door is opened. I sewed a draft dodger early in the winter, but it does little to stop the cold from somehow coming in through the floorboards, even though we have a basement. I don't know how this is happening. I only know that I sit my son down to breakfast in the morning in a stunning kitchen made all of windows, and he consistently asks for a jacket before finishing his peanut butter panda puffs or gorilla munch or cheetah chompers or whatever it is he is eating. Putting on layers is now part of our daily bread.

These drafts are a reminder of more tangible elements of our new home that remain incomplete, pending time and money, will and the necessary build-up of general complaint. Excepting of course the unusual drafts, such complaint is not immediately forthcoming. I haven't forgotten what it was like to live amidst construction. A little mess and a lack of color doesn't bother me yet. But have patience. I'm sure it will bother me soon.

No comments: