Thursday, March 15, 2007

New Kicks

I've been telling people about my recent shopping experience in-world (SecondLife.com) and how I spent an entire day and only $3.00. Now that's a cheap day at the mall. So I thought I'd show you my newest outfit - my own gosh darn design.

Before I am condemned for being superficial enough to care what I look like in a virtual world, be very clear that this kind of attention is required for any kind of higher level interaction with others. If you are wearing the "newbie" white Tshirt and jeans, you stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd. Check out this newbie scene:

Imagine this: people have been living in-world for at least a couple of years - I don't know how many - but for awhile, and suddenly the number of new users increases at an exponential rate - from Nov 06 to March 07 alone, the number of people in this world rose from 800,000 to 4.6 million. Now the system lags, there are people who all look alike running around bumping into you as they learn how to walk in a crowd, every schmo is walking up to you wanting to chat. Imagine New York when the Italians arrived. I can say that (maiden name Turri), but can only imagine. There's got to be some truth in it. So I had to change my clothes fast to distinguish myself from the newly arriving multitude. If I really want to get my game on, then I'll start to buy some more realistic skin.

Speaking of realistic skin, its a very human phenomenon to see a stranger and be reminded of someone you know. I guess it's not any less human to find an avatar who looks like someone you know. Any guesses on this spitting image...?

No comments: